Pages

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

In Remembrance...Part 2

After a long weekend, it's back to the real world!

We spent a quiet Memorial Day, my son led his troop of scouts in the parade here in town. The weather was truly spectacular: sunny, breezy and low humidity. I would rate it one of the top 10 best days of the year.

As I promised in my post yesterday, here are the details on the 2 cards I made. Both used the sketch from the Magnolia-licious Birthday Bash, week 3. Of course I entered the card with Edwin in that challenge, as well as the Magnolia Down Under challenge.

For the first "card," I was inspired by Joanne's Mainly Flowers blog, and her technique for "No Tools" flowers--she means no special tools. She has templates for cutting out petals, and shows you tricks for shaping. I'll have a link to her blog at the end of this posting.
My poppy was pretty large, so it became the focal piece for this "card." It isn't really a card, because there is no one to send it to, but I plan to keep it, and use it for a yearly piece on our mantel for Memorial Day.The oval is from a mega-punch I have, and I edged it in gold leaf pen. the blue stars paper is from my long ago Creative Memories days. I found the sentiment using google, and printed it. I had those reds stars in my stash. The navy blue background paper is edge-distressed.

Thanks for all the positive comments I have received.


For the challenge card, I colored Edwin with my Copics, and trimmed him off the page, fitting his torso to the circle die cut.


All of that was mounted inside the scalloped oval die cut out of the CM paper. the red and blue plaid paper is from a new paper pack from DCWV, "Summer Dream."
I made smaller poppies using a heart shaped punch and some seed beads. I will be posting a short tutorial, but it basically comes from the Mainly Flowers blog I mentioned earlier.
Again, the sentiments were printed from my computer. Around the edge of the distressed red paper, I added faux stitching.


Click here to go to Joanne's Mainly Flowers blog.

No comments: